Uchisar is a small town situated on a hilltop within a fairy tale atmosphere in the heart of Cappadocia, Turkey. Known for its unique rock formations, stunning natural landscapes, and rich cultural heritage, Uchisar is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to the region.
Uchisar in a Nutshell – Top Facts
The town is famous for its unique rock castle of Uchisar Castle, observation terraces, rock-cut houses and Pigeon Valley, and of the best places to explore and stay in Cappadocia. Here are the top facts about Uchisar and what you can expect from your visit:
- Uchisar Castle: Uchisar Castle is a historic fortress carved into the rock that overlooks the town. Visitors can explore the castle and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Pigeon Valley: Pigeon Valley is a beautiful natural landscape that is named after the thousands of pigeons that used to live in the valley. Visitors can hike through the valley and enjoy the stunning views of the unique rock formations.
- Handicrafts: Uchisar is known for its traditional handicrafts, including textiles, carpets, and ceramics. Visitors can explore local shops and markets to purchase these unique and beautiful items.
- Traditional Turkish Cuisine: Uchisar is known for its traditional Turkish cuisine, including dishes such as kebabs, meze, and baklava. Visitors can sample these delicious dishes at local restaurants and cafes.
- Hiking: Uchisar and the surrounding area offer several hiking trails that wind through the unique rock formations and natural landscapes of the region. Hikers can enjoy stunning views and explore the local flora and fauna.
- Balloon Rides: Visitors to Uchisar can take a hot air balloon ride over the town and surrounding area, providing breathtaking views of the stunning landscapes and unique rock formations.
- Wine Production: Uchisar is home to several wineries that produce Cappadocian wines, which are known for their unique taste and quality. Visitors can sample these wines at local wineries and enjoy the stunning vineyard landscapes.
Uchisar is best known for its luxury hotels and stunning views of Cappadocia. Nestled atop a hilltop, Uchisar is the highest settlement in all of Cappadocia and offers panoramic views of the unique landscape below. In this region, you can watch some of the best sunsets in all of Cappadocia.
A visit to Uchisar offers a unique and unforgettable experience. With its rich cultural heritage, stunning natural landscapes, and traditional handicrafts, Uchisar is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Cappadocia. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or just enjoying local cuisine and handicrafts, Uchisar has something to offer everyone.
Uchisar Video Tour
You can watch the below video by Peter and Yen your to see how Uchisar looks like.
Things to Do & See
Being the highest point of the Cappadocia region and a place where the most beautiful fairy chimney formations can be observed, Uchisar is located 7 km. from Nevsehir and situated on a volcanic tuff plateau. You are able to see the whole region from a wide angle with magnificent views.
Visitors can explore the numerous caves and hiking trails, visit the local markets, or simply enjoy the incredible views. While in this area, be sure to check out Uchisar Castle, where you can taste some of the specialty dishes of Cappadocia, as well as sampling other international cuisines. Known as the “Roof of Cappadocia” take some of the best pictures in this stunning area!
Uchisar Castle is the highest point of the region and also the biggest and the most beautiful fairy chimney of the region where you may enjoy a unique panoramic view over Cappadocia. The castle was also used as a watchtower and it offers magnificent panoramic views to its visitors. The most beautiful fairy chimney formations can be observed here.
From the top of the castle, you can see the extraordinary views of Pigeon Valley, Avanos, Ortahisar Castle and Goreme National Park.
Uchisar Castle is also considered to be one of the best places in the world to watch sunset. Read more >>
Pigeon Valley is another great place near Uchisar town named after the thousands of pigeon houses carved into the soft tufa since ancient times and offers another spectacular panoramic view over Cappadocia together with spectacular view of dovecotes.
Situated between Uchisar and Goreme, and famous for its beautiful landscapes, the valley takes its name from pigeons and ranks first among the popular, most known, and impressive valleys of Cappadocia. You can walk along the valley to the hills, watch the valley from the edge of the tree with the famous evil eye bead, and feed the pigeons here. Read more >>
Sample & Buy Dried Fruits from the street stands
We recommend you taste and buy from the variety of different types of dried fruits such as pear, mulberry, strawberry, pineapple, pepino and kiwi that are all create a riot of colors and attract guests. You are able to find them at the tourist zones, especially in Uchisar and Ortahisar towns.
Panoramic Viewpoints – Esentepe Hill
Panoramic viewpoints overlooking the amazing Goreme National Park, located in the hilly area on the Goreme-Avanos road, are very popular with the travelers. You can sit in one of the restaurants and cafes around here and watch the magnificent views and enjoy a nice meal.
There are also variety of great observation and sightseeing terraces along Uchisar at the hills that you are able to experience and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the valleys, Goreme and Aktepe.
The Esentepe observation terrace is the most popular of these. Location map >> Here you can enjoy the panoramic view of Goreme at the platforms on the viewpoint of Esentepe and marvel at some of the best views in the region. You can also enjoy the Goreme valley and Goreme town complete along with the stunning fairy chimneys, rock formations and cave houses.
Having a rest and enjoying your drink in the company of spectacular views at the terraces along Uchisar is also a great attraction for travelers.
Hot Air Balloon Ride
Hot air balloon ride is one of the most attended tours in Cappadocia. It is also as one of the most interesting and exciting attractions in the world.
Going on a balloon tour and watching the valleys from the sky is another fantastic attraction that we recommend during your Uchisar holidays. With a hot air balloon, you can see the unique beautiful valleys of Cappadocia from a bird’s eye view and enjoy the magnificent views.
If you want to discover the popular sights, fairy chimneys, valleys, underground cities and the most beautiful spots of Cappadocia, than you should take take the sightseeing tours.
Eating Out – What to Eat?
You’ll find many restaurants in Uchisar where you can taste local flavors. Pottery kebab is one of the most popular dishes in the region. Pottery dishes are also attracted by both local and foreign visitors here. There are also many places in the region where you can taste delicious wines.
Among the popular dishes of Cappadocia, jug kebab, pot beans, stuffed apricots, wedding soup and homemade wines are also indispensable tastes of Uchisar cuisine.
Shopping – What to Buy?
You’ll find many souvenir, carpet and rug shops in the Uchisar center, as well as market places where you can find local products. Woven carpets and rugs attract a great deal of attention in the Uchisar region.
Bowls, pots, ornaments made of ceramics, fairy chimney trinkets, Uchisar magnets are among the popular items to shop for your loved ones as gifts.
Accommodation in Uchisar – Where to Stay?
Uchisar is known as the rooftop of Cappadocia and is famous for it’s stunning views of the landscape! This area is more relaxed as it is above the tourist destinations, but it is great for taking pictures, watching the hot air balloons, and marveling at the sunrise or sunset.
Uchisar features some of the most luxurious and comfortable hotels in the region and is great for those interested in a full-service stay.
How to Get to Uchisar?
Getting to Uchisar is easy and convenient, with a range of transportation options available from nearby towns and cities. Whether you’re traveling by car, taxi, or local bus, you can easily reach this charming town and explore its many historic and cultural landmarks, including the Uchisar Castle and the Pigeon Valley.
How to get to Uchisar from Goreme, Avanos, and Urgup?
Getting to Uchisar is easy and convenient, with a range of transportation options available from nearby towns and cities.
- From Goreme: The easiest way to get to Uchisar from Goreme is by car or taxi. The town is located approximately 5 kilometers from Goreme, and the journey takes around 10 minutes by car. Alternatively, you can take a local bus from Goreme to Uchisar, which runs regularly throughout the day.
- From Avanos: If you’re staying in Avanos, the best way to get to Uchisar is by car or taxi. The town is located approximately 12 kilometers from Uchisar, and the journey takes around 20 minutes by car. You can also take a local bus from Avanos to Uchisar, which operates on a regular schedule throughout the day.
- From Urgup: To get to Uchisar from Urgup, you can take a car or taxi. The town is located approximately 7 kilometers from Uchisar, and the journey takes around 15 minutes by car. There are also local buses that run from Urgup to Uchisar, which operate on a regular schedule throughout the day.
Traveling to Uchisar
Uchisar is situated about 304 km. from Ankara, 752 km. from Istanbul, 782 km. from Izmir, 72 km. from Kayseri, and 8 km. from Nevsehir.
There are NO direct international flights for Cappadocia region. Nearest local airports are situated in Nevsehir and Kayseri. You can find direct domestic flights to these cities from Istanbul and Izmir.
After reaching Kayseri or Nevsehir by land or plane, you can reach Uchisar by minibuses in about 30 minutes from the airports. But this would be a hard way. Taking a taxi from the center, bus station or airport is another option.
As Cappadocia region is NOT a metropolitan one, mostly has a rural life, we highly recommend you take airport transfers to get to your hotel in Avanos, Goreme, Uchisar or Urgup town of Cappadocia. So that you can have a safe, comfortable and easy transport option to your hotel.
The Shared Shuttle (about €8 per person) or Private shuttle (about €80 per person) is the most comfortable and convenient way to travel between the airports and Cappadocia and all neighboring regions.
As for private shuttle transfers to Uchisar, we highly recommend KiwiTaxi as we recently tested them and had a great trip to our hotel. It offers low-priced, fixed rate private shuttles that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance.
Their large selection of comfortable taxis, minivans, luxurious cars and 6-19+ passenger minibuses can match any need while ensuring quick and safe travels to and from Kayseri airport (ASR). They met us inside the airport, helped with our luggage, brought us in front of the hotel and there also helped us with our luggage.
It is so easy to make a booking: you just choose a vehicle, specify time and place of departure and destination. The driver will meet you, help with baggage and take you to the agreed address.
Faster and more comfortable than shuttles, buses and taxis. Free cancellation. All prices include fees & tip.
Book your Private Shuttle
Check out and book your transfer from the below best and cheapest options
Book your Shared Shuttle
These are the other options for those who would like a shared shuttle transfer