Uchisar Castle is the highest point of the region and also the biggest and the most beautiful fairy chimney of the region where you may enjoy a unique panoramic views over Cappadocia. The Castle is one of the most prominent landmarks in the Cappadocia region of Turkey. The castle is situated in the town of Uchisar, which is located in the Nevsehir Province. It is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the region and offers visitors a glimpse into the rich history and culture of the area.
The castle is perched on the highest point of the Uchisar village, and it offers a breathtaking panoramic view of the region. Here are some interesting facts about Uchisar Castle:
- Natural Formation: Uchisar Castle is not a man-made castle. It is actually a natural rock formation that has been shaped by volcanic eruptions and erosion over millions of years.
- Age: The castle is estimated to be around 60 million years old.
- Height: The castle is the highest point in the area, reaching a height of 60 meters (197 feet) above the ground.
- Usage: The castle has been used as a fortress, shelter, and lookout point throughout history. It was also used by early Christians as a hiding place from persecution.
- Cave Dwellings: Inside the castle, there are several cave dwellings that were used by people as homes and storage spaces.
- Panoramic View: The view from the top of the castle is one of the most beautiful in Cappadocia. You can see the entire valley and the surrounding towns and villages.
- Restoration: The castle has undergone several restorations over the years to preserve its unique features and ensure its safety.
- Accessibility: The castle is open to visitors, and you can climb to the top of the castle for a small fee. However, some of the stairways and pathways are steep and uneven, so visitors with mobility issues may find it difficult to climb.
- Souvenir Shops: There are several souvenir shops at the base of the castle where you can buy unique gifts and local handicrafts.
- Sunset: The best time to visit Uchisar Castle is at sunset, as the view from the top is particularly stunning during this time of day.
The Uchisar castle was built during the Byzantine era and was used as a watchtower and fortress to defend the surrounding area. The location of the castle, which is built into a natural rock formation, provided strategic advantages for its defenders. From the top of the castle, defenders had a clear view of the surrounding area, which allowed them to spot any approaching enemies and prepare for battle.
The castle was later used as a residence for the nobility during the Ottoman period. Today, the castle stands as a symbol of the rich cultural heritage of the region and serves as a testament to the architectural and engineering skills of the past.
Visitors to Uchisar Castle can explore the castle and learn about its fascinating history. The castle is composed of several levels and has numerous rooms and chambers that visitors can explore. The top of the castle offers a breathtaking view of the surrounding area, which is made up of other natural rock formations, valleys, and villages.
Uchisar Castle is a must-see attraction for anyone visiting the Cappadocia region. Its rich history, stunning architecture, and breathtaking views make it a top destination for tourists from all over the world.
What to Expect from Your Visit?
Situated in the Uchisar town, the rock castle was used as a fortress by the Roman and Byzantine armies. The region is also home to the most beautiful fairy chimney formations.
The Castle is also used as an observation terrace. You’ll need to make a little effort to get uphill to the castle. You can enjoy the impressive views of the Piegon Valley, Avanos, Ortahisar Castle and Goreme National Park on top.
The nights are very fantastic at Uchisar Catsle that it’s like you are able to touch the shining stars at the very clear sky.
You may also enjoy the magnificent panorama of the surrounding land at Mount Erciyes in the distance from the Uchisar Castle.
Uchisar Castle is also considered to be one of the best places in the world to watch sunset.
While in this area, you can taste some of the specialty dishes of Cappadocia, as well as sampling other international cuisines.
Known as the “Roof of Cappadocia” take some of the best pictures in this stunning area!
Uchisar Castle Video Tour
You can watch this video tour by Vans Voyage to experience Uchisar Castle online.