Derinkuyu Underground City is one of the deepest and most fascinating multilevel underground settlements of Cappadocia and also can be considered as an engineering wonder. Located in the Derinkuyu Village, Derinkuyu Underground City is also one most popular places to see in Cappadocia.
Cappadocia currently has 36 underground cities, the largest of which, Derinkuyu, dates back to the 8th century BC. As an example, Derinkuyu was stumbled upon completely by chance, by a local inhabitant which renovating his house.
Derinkuyu Underground City is an incredible feat of engineering and an impressive example of human ingenuity, making it a must-visit destination for those interested in history and architecture.
Derinkuyu Underground City is an ancient and fascinating underground complex located in the Cappadocia region of Turkey. Here are some top facts about this amazing attraction:
- It is one of the largest underground cities in the world: Derinkuyu is a massive underground complex with many levels and a labyrinthine network of tunnels and rooms. It is estimated to have been able to house up to 20,000 people at one time, making it one of the largest underground cities in the world.
- It was built over 2000 years ago: The exact date of its construction is not known, but it is believed to have been built by the Phrygians in the 8th to 7th centuries BCE, and then enlarged and used by later civilizations such as the Byzantines and the Seljuks.
- It was used for a variety of purposes: Over the centuries, the Derinkuyu Underground City was used for various purposes, including as a shelter during times of war, as a storage facility for food and other supplies, as a place for worship and even as a wine cellar.
- It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site: In 1985, the underground cities of Cappadocia, including Derinkuyu, were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recognizing their importance and significance as an outstanding example of human habitation and land use.
- It has a fascinating ventilation system: One of the most impressive features of the Derinkuyu Underground City is its ventilation system. The tunnels were designed to allow fresh air to enter and circulate throughout the complex, and there are even wells that reach all the way to the surface to provide a source of fresh water.
- It has many interesting architectural features: Visitors to Derinkuyu can see a variety of architectural features, such as narrow passages, steep stairs, and unique rooms with various purposes such as stables, cellars, and even a church.
- It is a popular tourist attraction: Today, Derinkuyu Underground City is a popular tourist attraction in Cappadocia, with many visitors exploring its unique and fascinating underground world.
Derinkuyu Underground City is one of the many underground cities in Cappadocia, Turkey. It was built in the 7th and 8th centuries by the early Christian communities to protect themselves from invasions and raids. The city was used as a shelter for the local population during times of war, and it is believed that up to 20,000 people could live here for several months without leaving.
The underground city was discovered in 1963 and opened to visitors in 1965. It is one of the largest underground cities in the region, with eight floors and a depth of approximately 85 meters. Derinkuyu Underground City features many rooms, including a church, a school, stables, storage areas, and even a winery.
The city was constructed with a complex ventilation system that provided fresh air to all levels, as well as a well for water supply. The narrow tunnels and steep staircases leading to the various levels of the underground city add to its charm and unique atmosphere.
Today, Derinkuyu Underground City is open to visitors and offers a unique glimpse into the history and culture of the region. Visitors can explore the tunnels and rooms, and learn about the fascinating history of the city and the people who lived there.
What to Expect from Your Visit?
Derinkuyu Underground City is a vast subterranean complex that was carved out of tuff, a type of volcanic rock. It is believed to have been built during the Hittite period and used as a shelter by the local people during times of war and natural disasters. Today, it is a popular tourist destination, offering visitors a glimpse into the past and a unique underground experience.
Here are some things you can expect from your visit to Derinkuyu Underground City:
- A labyrinth of tunnels: Derinkuyu is one of the largest underground cities in Cappadocia, with an estimated depth of over 85 meters and several levels. It is said to have been able to accommodate up to 20,000 people at one time. The complex is composed of a network of narrow tunnels, stairs, and rooms that can be difficult to navigate without a guide.
- Ingenious engineering: The underground city is a remarkable feat of engineering, with a complex ventilation system that ensured that fresh air circulated throughout the entire complex. Visitors can see the ventilation shafts, wells, and water channels that were used to supply the city with water.
- Unique architecture: The underground city features a number of interesting architectural features, such as large stone doors that could be closed to protect the inhabitants from intruders, and a large hall that was used as a meeting place for the community.
- A glimpse into the past: Visiting Derinkuyu Underground City is a unique experience that offers a glimpse into the lives of the people who lived in the region thousands of years ago. It is a fascinating look at the ingenuity and resourcefulness of our ancestors.
- A sense of adventure: Exploring the underground tunnels and rooms of Derinkuyu is a thrilling experience that will make you feel like an adventurer. Just be prepared for some narrow passages and low ceilings!
Extending to a depth of approximately 85 metres, it’s large enough to have sheltered more than 20,000 people. While visiting, guests will have to crouch down and move slowly through the tunnels, which were mostly created with the purpose of saving people during the ongoing wars.
It is believed that the underground city was built as a shelter that is not to be seen from above, for the Christian community to escape from the pressure of the Roman Empire and Arabs.
Derinkuyu Underground City has 8 levels underground carved from the soft volcanic stone that are connected with each other by narrow tunnels.
Visitors may visit stables, cellars, storage areas, refectories, churches and wineries that all intertwined in an extensive network of tunnels. Also visitors may see the missionary school and study rooms on the second floor.
It is very exciting to imagine that how people lived here. The oxygen ratio never changes no matter at what level you are. A visit to Derinkuyu Underground City is a must on your Cappadocia holidays.
It will take about an hour for you to visit all the Derinkuyu Underground City. Visitors having claustrophobia are not recommended to enter the underground city.
Visiting Hours & Admissions
Open every day between 08:00-17:00.
* 60 TL at ticket window on location
How to Get to There?
Derinkuyu Underground City is located about 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of Goreme, making it easily accessible by car, bus, or organized tour.
Derinkuyu Underground City is situated in Derinkuyu Village. About;
- 46,2 km. from Avanos
- 35,3 km. from Goreme
- 31,3 km. from Uchisar
- 41,7 km. from Urgup
Here’s how to get to Derinkuyu Underground City from some of the nearby towns:
- From Goreme: The easiest way to get to Derinkuyu Underground City from Goreme is by joining an organized tour or hiring a private driver. Alternatively, you can take a bus to Nevsehir and then transfer to a bus heading to Derinkuyu.
- From Urgup: You can take a bus from Urgup to Nevsehir, and then transfer to a bus heading to Derinkuyu. Alternatively, you can join an organized tour or hire a private driver.
- From Uchisar: You can take a bus from Uchisar to Nevsehir and then transfer to a bus heading to Derinkuyu. Alternatively, you can join an organized tour or hire a private driver.
- From Avanos: You can take a bus from Avanos to Nevsehir and then transfer to a bus heading to Derinkuyu. Alternatively, you can join an organized tour or hire a private driver.
It’s worth noting that while driving is an option, the roads in the area can be narrow and winding, so it may be more comfortable to travel by bus or organized tour. Additionally, entry to the underground city is only possible with a guided tour, so it may be more convenient to book an organized tour that includes transportation and entrance.
Derinkuyu Underground City Visiting Tips
Derinkuyu Underground City is a unique historical site that is both fascinating and complex. Here are some visiting tips to help you make the most of your experience:
- Dress appropriately: Derinkuyu Underground City can be quite cool, so it’s important to dress in warm layers, especially during the winter months. Also, the underground tunnels can be narrow, so it’s best to wear comfortable shoes.
- Be prepared for crowds: Derinkuyu Underground City is a popular tourist attraction, so it can get crowded, especially during peak travel seasons. To avoid long waits, it’s best to arrive early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
- Bring a flashlight: The underground tunnels can be dark and some areas may not be well-lit, so bringing a small flashlight can be helpful for navigating the tunnels and exploring the various chambers.
- Take a guided tour: While it’s possible to explore Derinkuyu Underground City on your own, it’s highly recommended to take a guided tour. A guide will provide historical and cultural context, and will be able to answer any questions you may have. Additionally, some areas of the underground city are restricted to guided tours only.
- Stay hydrated: The underground tunnels can be quite dry, so it’s important to bring water with you to stay hydrated.
- Respect the rules: There are certain rules that visitors must abide by when visiting Derinkuyu Underground City. For example, smoking and the use of flash photography are prohibited. Additionally, visitors are not allowed to touch any of the ancient artifacts or structures.
- If you have claustrophobia or a fear of enclosed spaces, it’s important to take precautions when visiting Derinkuyu Underground City. The underground tunnels can be narrow and tight, with low ceilings in some areas, which may trigger feelings of anxiety or discomfort for some visitors.If you feel overwhelmed at any point, take a break in one of the designated resting areas throughout the underground city or step outside into the fresh air for a moment.Ultimately, if you have severe claustrophobia or a related condition, it may be best to avoid visiting Derinkuyu Underground City. There are many other unique and exciting attractions in Cappadocia that may be more suitable for individuals with claustrophobia.
By following these tips, you can have a safe, enjoyable, and educational experience when visiting Derinkuyu Underground City.
Taking a guided tour for Derinkuyu Underground City can enhance your experience and provide you with valuable insight into the history and significance of the site. Here are some reasons why you might want to consider a guided tour:
- Knowledgeable guides: A guide can provide you with in-depth information about the history and architecture of the underground city. They can also answer any questions you may have about the site and its significance.
- Safety: The underground city can be narrow and claustrophobic in some areas. A guide can help ensure your safety and provide assistance if needed.
- Efficient use of time: A guided tour can help you maximize your time by taking you directly to the most important parts of the underground city and avoiding long lines.
- Local insights: A guide can provide you with insights into the local culture and customs, which can enhance your overall experience in Cappadocia.
- Context and perspective: A guide can provide context and perspective on the underground city and its historical significance, which can help you appreciate the site more fully.
- Save time and skip the lines: During peak tourist season, it can be crowded and busy, with long lines and wait times. A guided tour can help you skip the lines and avoid the crowds, so you can enjoy a more peaceful and meaningful experience.
Top Selling Underground Cities Guided Tours
Here we only suggest the proven ways and top rated ones with travelers’ comments. You can feel free to book one of the below top selling Derinkuyu Underground City Tours from Cappadocia.
Free cancellation up to 24 hours before activity starts